Life Insurance Facts to Consider
Many of us take life insurance for granted. If your employer offers it to you, it’s probably something that you never stopped to review. If you don’t have it as an employee benefit when was the last time you reviewed your coverage.
Consider if these statements apply to you
You have life insurance and the coverage is sufficient: In many cases, employer-offered life insurance coverage is anywhere from one to three times your salary. If you earn $40,000, having up to $120,000 of life insurance may seem like a lot of protection? But, stop to consider how far that money would go. If your family needs your salary of $40,000 each year, to help ends meet, what will they do after year three?
Think about all your current expenses: rent or mortgage, health care, utilities, college for your children – the list goes on. As you can see that policy for $120,000 won’t go very far.
It’s a work-related benefit: Just because your employer is offering life insurance now, doesn’t mean in the future.
Your status changes: If you only have employer-provided health insurance, but the coverage is dropped what will you do if you have chronic health condition? You might not be able to get coverage or the premiums could be prohibitively high. Or, what if you change jobs and the new employer doesn’t offer life insurance as a benefit?
In most cases group life insurance is not portable. That means you can’t take that coverage with you when you leave a job. Buying an individual policy prevents this problem because it’s something you own.
What does all this mean? It’s great to have employer-provided life insurance, but don’t stop there. Especially, if you have a family. Consider how much peace of mind an individual life insurance coverage can mean for your family.
Use an online calculator like the Life Insurance Needs Calculator to get a rough idea of how much life insurance makes sense for you. Then, gives us a call and let’s talk about your life insurance options.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Five Health “Hacks” For Happy Holidays
- Do You Know What These Key Insurance Terms Mean?
- HIPAA: Why is it important to me?
- Life Insurance Facts to Consider
- Will Plan F be Discontinued In year 2020? The Answer is Yes and No
- Commonly Asked Questions About Life Insurance
- February is American Heart Month: We want you to take it to heart
- Start the year with a review of your insurance coverage needs
- Apps to help you manage your time and productivity
- Making the most of an annual insurance review
- Have a happy holiday season
- Time for Review Your End of the Year Financial To-Do List
- Five mobile apps to help you manage your holiday spending and beyond
- Open Enrollment For Health Insurance is Here!
- Four things to know about Medicare Open Enrollment
- It’s Time to Take a Walk!
- September is Life Insurance Awareness Month
- Protect Yourself From Health Insurance Fraud and Scams
- How Do Drug Formularies and Drug Tiers Work?